Machu Picchu

by

Tuesday 22nd April

Since last week was Semana Santa, school was closed on Thursday and Friday. This meant I had time to travel around! My adventures started on Thursday when the CIS’ Team Peru and I went to Machu Picchu. I had waited so long to go, seen so many photos of it everywhere and heard so much about it, so my expectations were very high and I was extremely excited to visit it at last.

Visiting Machu Picchu
We had an early start leaving Urubamba at 5:00am and taking a minibus to Ollantaytambo. From there, we took the ‘Inca Train’ until Machu Picchu village, and then a bus to the entrance of the ruins. The journey was quite long, but everything went smoothly. The train ride was very beautiful as we went through lots of mountains to get to the ruins. It reminded me of the landscapes I saw during the weekend hike I did a while ago.

There were a lot of people at the entrance and around the ruins, as during Semana Santa, Peruvians get to go for free. Nevertheless, the sight is so big that it wasn’t too annoying. We walked to the top of the ruins as soon as we got there to see the whole view, and it was absolutely breathtaking. At first, the clouds were really low so we could not see much, but after about 20 minutes, it cleared up completely and we could see the ruins with the beautiful mountains in the background. The view was stunning, and I felt on top of the world. If you’re reading this and haven’t gone to Machu Picchu yet, add it to your bucket list right now!

Typical tourist photo
Cloudy view

Perfect view
Teo and I - happiest siblings in the world
Katrine and I - happiest girls in the world
We had a tour guide that walked us through all of Machu Picchu (meaning Old Mountain in Quechua) and explained a lot of interesting things. He told us about how the citadel is built at an altitude of 2,350m (lower than Urubamba) on the saddle of a mountain surrounded by sheer drops to the Urubamba Valley below. The Spanish never sacked it as they failed to find it and instead, it was left abandoned. The Inca stonework is incredible and has withstood the ravages of time. Machu Picchu’s real function still remains a mystery, but he said most people think it was a place of worship.

Stone terraces
Walking through the ruins 
Our tour guide
After the main visit, some of us decided to walk to Intipunku, the Sun Gate. These are some ruins that are part of the Inca Trail about 1 hour away from Machu Picchu. From here, the Incas controlled access to the city. The walk was really worth it as it offers a 180-degree view of Machu Picchu from quite far away. It made me realize how grand Machu Picchu is and how beautiful the surrounding mountains are. After enjoying the view, we walked back and joined the rest of the group. We made our way back to Cusco, and slept wonderfully on the bus and train and bus back.
 
Making our way to the Sun Gate 

View from the top
Sun Gate group photo

Overall, it was by far one of the most amazing sights I’ve seen in Peru and in the whole world. I still have to look through the photos to remind myself I was actually there. Next post about my visit to Puno and the Lake Titicaca :)

Machu Picchu group photo