Inca Ruins Weekend 2.0 – Tipón and Cusco

by

Wednesday 9th April

Last weekend, I also visited the ruins in Tipón (close to Cusco), which were absolutely beautiful. They include baths, terraces, irrigation systems and ruins of a temple complex. They are set just above the town of Tipón, about an hour away from Cusco, so the surroundings are beautiful as well. What really surprised me about these ruins was the irrigation system that is still functioning nowadays and has water flowing out. Like in the other ruins, the stone terraces are massive and create an intricate landscape set on different levels. Since it is quite high up, there is a great view down of the town and the nature surrounding it. There weren’t many visitors when I went, and it was so tranquil up there that I could have sat there all day.
Terraces and the ruins of the temple
View of all the terraces
Functioning irrigation system
View from the ruins
View of the town of Tipón and the valley
Me sitting in the ruins
Terraces from the front

Additionally, since I had to go back to Cusco from Tipón I decided to spend a few hours there before making my way back to Urubamba. I must admit that at first I didn’t think much of Cusco, I didn’t not like it but I didn’t love it either. However, now that I have been a few more time it is starting to grow on me. I think my favourite part of the city are the plazas (squares). I’ve always loved squares and the ones here are so charming. I’ve also started discovering more of the San Blas district, which I love. I don’t why but there are so many blue doors and blue houses that make it look very picturesque. It also has a tranquil atmosphere that reminds me of towns in Italy or Spain. I will probably be going back next weekend, as there are some Inca ruins that I want to visit and I must try the typical ‘cuy al horno’ (roasted guinea pig) that everyone talks about!


Courtyard of the Museum of Contemporary Ary
San Francisco Church
Museum of Contemporary Art
Quirkancha
Marina and I in San Blas
Plazoleta San Blas
Plaza Regocijo 
Cusco graffitis