Arrival

by


15th Feb

After some consideration, I have finally decided to create a blog about my Peruvian adventures while I volunteer for Kiya Survivors for the next 3 months. I do not know how often I will be able to post as the Internet connection is very limited here, but I will try my best.

Copenhagen - Amsterdam - Lima - Cusco - Urubamba
This is my second full day in Peru. I arrived in Lima on the 13th in the evening after a never-ending flight. Not only did the pilot have to take a longer route because of the weather, but I was also seated next to a lovely Israeli couple who wouldn’t stop asking me questions and telling me about their life for a solid 13 hours. The perks of travelling alone…
Ready to go
Lima from up above
 I spent a lonely night in a hotel right across from the airport saved by functioning Wi-Fi and a massive breakfast buffet. I then took a flight to Cusco (south of Lima, in the Inca Heartland). This airplane was quiet different and seemed like it was from another era, with its fake leather seats and extremely loud engine. I thankfully got all bags and met with Sonya (Kiya Survivors coordinator) and Max. We drove up to Urubamba (using 3 different types of transport). As we drove through the fields and mountains I tried my best not to fall asleep as the views were probably some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. It reminded me of a mixture of Corsica’s mountains, Vietnam’s green fields and Umbria’s vegetation in Italy. As soon as I arrived, I met Rewena, a lovely English lady who constantly smiles and is a volunteer here as well. She made me some Cocoa tea, which tastes like grass but is suppose to help with altitude sickness (I luckily haven’t felt sick yet). Sonya showed me my room in the Volunteer house and I settled in collapsing on my bed and realizing this was going to be my home for the next three months. My room has a nice view on the Plaza Pinchata, and as I looked out I loved this small town already. We then went out for dinner in town and got to learn more about each other.

My bedroom at the Volunteer House
View from my bedroom

Today, I woke up very early, around 6am. Everyone is out and about very early here, so the dogs barking, children playing and women shouting ‘Ceviche!’ on the street kept me up. I haven’t done much today since I feel quite tired and weak because of the altitude. However, I did venture around the city with Rewena and Marina  (another lovely volunteer who put flowers and some treats in my room as a welcome) and then on my own.

 My first impressions on Urubamba:

1.     Charming is the best word to describe it. It must be because of its colourful houses, loud street sellers, smiling locals and beautiful markets.
2.     I have learnt to love markets, probably because of my mum. There are 2 main ones here, but sellers come on Sundays and Thursday from all around the area to sell and buy goods. I walked through the 2 main ones today and love them already. The fruits and vegetables don’t all look exactly the same! And the women at the stalls invite you to try their products. I might actually enjoy ‘grocery shopping’ here.
3.     The town looks quite rural but still beautiful. The walls are almost all coloured and painted. The main church reminds me of Roman churches, such as the ones in Corsican villages.
4.     The people are so lovely. Most say hello on the streets and sometimes ask you how your day is going and where you are from. I don’t feel like a tourist at all. The highlight of my day was probably when I sat down to draw on the plaza and an old man sat next to me asked and asked if I could draw him. I did not understand much of what he said as he spoke very strangely (and didn’t have many teeth left), but I love how easy it is for people to talk to you here. Something I really miss back in Denmark.

As you can see I already love this town. That’s all for now, but I can’t wait to continue exploring.